About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Thursday 3 October 2013

not waving or drowning, just keeping our boat afloat

So here we are in our little boat. Me and my children. And to hell with everyone else. I think that might be the message I'm sending out to the world, and the message the world is reflecting back to me. Both of my Baby Daddies hate me right now, I keep arguing with friends and family, and I generally just get on with the business of trying to tread water and get through the days without too much thought for other people's feelings, emotions or preferences.

This means I'm pissing a lot of people off. And because I'm in survival mode, I don't care much. You're either with me, or against me; and if you're against me, I can't be bothered with you anyway and there's the door - please walk through it. If you're with me, great - but don't expect me to be the old me I was a couple of years ago.

Yes I still smile a lot outwardly when I can be bothered; that's the mask I put on to the world.

Yes I still try to be compassionate and caring and kind and interested in others.... I still care when my friends are upset or when some terrible event happens in the world....

But part of me has gone cold, so cold, and only cares about keeping my little boat afloat, so that my children and I do not sink under the surface into the icy depths and get swallowed up by the black water beneath us. We have to keep going. So we keep going.

I forget to ask people things - I forget to call people - I forget birthdays - I forget to 'consult' my Baby Daddies on things (though I pretty much raise my kids single-handed so part of me doesn't really want to consult them anyway, but my level of communication has definitely decreased). I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. I don't waste time with inane chat in the playground at school pick up time. I focus on what is important:my health, my children, our wellbeing, peace and love surrounding us.

And that way, we survive. And if people don't like it, they can just turn around and sail away in the opposite direction. My remaining friends and supporters are pretty tolerant of me in this state and understand where I'm at. Just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.