About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Wednesday 14 August 2013

put your bloody dog on a lead



Usually I agree. I'm always giving my heart. Cutting it open; slicing a piece off. Take it - I don't need it - let me listen to you - let me help you - let me look after you - especially if you're a scumbag.

But I did the opposite today.

I gave a piece of my mind to a Provincial Dog Owner in my Provincial Town, while we were out having picnic in our local park.

'Is that your dog?', I asked. 'Put him on a lead right now. My daughter was bitten by a dog the other week* and your dog is roaming around scaring little children'.

'Oh, I can control him from here!' she said stuffily, pointing at a distance of 100ft or more.

'I don't think so,' I said. 'If he were to bite someone right now, what exactly would you do? And have
you heard about the new laws on dog owners going to jail if their dogs kill children? Incidentally, can you be sure he is not defecating, from that distance?'

And so we continued for a few minutes. Maybe I was a bit harsh, but the dog, although small and probably harmless, was panting, crazed, and roaming around making children leap into their parents' arms (mine included).

So she put the dog on the lead in the end, scowling at me and telling me we'd be better off having a picnic in a park where there were no dogs (as if we could find one). I told her we both knew she was wrong, and she'd better apologise, but she didn't; nevertheless the encounter left me strangely energised. I had protected my babies; I had fought a battle and at least not lost. I had engaged with Provincial Dog Owner and at least not lost the battle.

Giving a piece of your mind is sometimes much more satisfying.

 *note to reader - it was not severe and she was under her father's care at the time - not that it was his fault either - I blame the dog owner ;). He did then prevent me from speaking to the medical staff treating my daughter which has led to a huge fall out, but that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.