About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Tuesday 13 August 2013

save me from being blown forever outside the loop of time

So I confess. I don't know how this works. I have never written a blog before. I don't know how to see who has viewed this page, how to spread it in public; how to remain anonymous. I tended to think blogs were a strange medium. Why bother, I thought? Who would write a diary in public?

But now, I crave a space to be anonymous, and yet to be seen. To be me again. Not to be mummy, daughter, crazy sister, loving grand-daughter caring for my near-blind grandfather as he sees out his final months or years. Not to be friend, lover or smiley acquaintance. I crave a space to SCREAM if I need to , to tear my hair out, to mock the idiots who have waltzed through my day shitting on my parade; or just to be quiet.

Virginia Woolf called it a Room of one's Own. I haven't read any Woolf since I left university, but I've been living her truths. Her voice gave credence to the circular lives of women, our lack of straight lines; our contradictory needs for reassurance and independence.

We cannot help but be defined by our men - for me it is my son, my father, my brothers, my ex-partners, my co-dependent soulmate. We coil ourselves around them like snakes, we compete for them; and yet really how we long to be free. Really, there is a force stronger than sex. Really, we are foam on the ocean, stardust in the night sky.

So perhaps here I can reassure myself and emerge again, slowly, through the power of words, from my daily chaos. 'The world is entire; and I am outside of it, crying 'Oh save me, from being blown forever outside the loop of time!' Rhoda in 'the Waves' - she is too fragile for this world. Like Amy Winehouse, or Sylvia Plath. I worry often that I am like this. But I cannot die young; I have two children to cement me to this world; I want to see my grandchildren; I want to keep on breathing breathing breathing .

And here, in this blog, I want to just be one voice, crying out if anyone is listening that she is lonely, trapped, suffering, waving, almost almost drowing, clawing her way through the half-formed days, doing her best which never ever seems to be good enough...... and that if you feel that way as well you are not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.