About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Wednesday 29 January 2014


It is the middle of the night.

I cannot sleep.

In six hours I get up with the children.

This is becoming a pattern.

I sit, watch TV, try to eat; come to bed; wash; try to read; end up on computer reading about more and more theories surrounding IC.

Lately I think there must, must, must be some occult/lurking/hiding bacteria in my bladder causing these terrible symptoms, particularly due to the way the whole thing started, with cryptosporidium and with ecoli found initially.

I talk to people on forums; I research doctors and ways of culturing bacteria; I know far more than my own GP now, and perhaps more than my own consultant urologist.

This probably is dangerous.

It seems to me tonight that I shall need to travel to Staffordshire, to visit a Dr there who does something called 'Broth culture', searching for fastidious organisms. It is quite possible that the good old NHS have simply failed to culture what is there; that the bugs have hidden themselves in the lining and muscle of my bladder; and it will take a fine tooth comb to find them , metaphorically speaking that is...

Meanwhile I continue the Elmiron poison. Day whatever. Week 3. I feel like a ghost of myself. But I make myself get through the days, go through the motions, eat, be with the children, give out what I can to my few friends who do seem to be needing me still.... I miss those people whom this illness has removed from my life by whatever means. I miss them so much. But most of all, I miss my health. I am too young for this. I am not ready to be told that my bladder may eventually have to be removed as it will shrink and be covered with scar tissue. I am not ready to consider a 'bladder pacemaker'. These things were raised last week at the hospital. I have to believe there is an answer; we just haven't found it yet.

However much I might wish that I didn't have to fight this fight anymore, I'm not ready to give in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.