About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Tuesday 6 May 2014

IC suicidal ideation

I haven't written much, because there are not many words right now.

I am keeping on keeping on keeping on.

I am wading through the days, like thick mud. I am caring for myself and for my children as well as I can. I am doing the necessary things. I am caring less and less about the outside world; about anything, very much, except what is absolutely necessary.

My blinkers are on and I am plodding onwards with still the very best part of the day being when I can take a tranquiliser and go to sleep so that there is no pain for a few hours.

Sleep is a little death , who said that? I can't remember. I am reading and reading and reading, but I remember less and less.

It is as if everything is falling away and I am in the world but not of it. Things that mattered just don't matter anymore. The only things that still matter, that always mattered, are my children.

I have become slightly obsessed with Peaches Geldof. And I have to ask myself why. It is not as if I was obsessed with her while she was alive. But I think what she did was brave. If indeed it was intentional. And yet that leaves two little children with no mummy; how can you square that with yourself?

One in four people with IC think about suicide a LOT. I read that somewhere. And the rate is 10% higher than in the population as a whole. Ideation, where you simply imagine death as a blanket covering you, like a permanent sleep, is common too, because there is no pain. NO PAIN. imagine that , if you suffer from chronic pain.

Sometimes I have even got to the point of resenting my children for keeping me tethered to this world.

And that scares me, too.

My daughter asked me, in the wake of her Grandma dying, why everyone we love has to die. As I tried to comfort her, she turned to me and asked me 'Mum, with all that you suffer, don't you ever think it would be better just to die? If you didn't have us?'. ' But I do have you,' I replied. 'But what if you didn't?'... 'But I do,' I repeated. 'I do not deal in imaginary scenarios, sweetheart, only in realities. I do have you and so that's that'. But although I tried hard not to lie to her, not to tell an outright lie, there was a lie in my words.

Because the thought of just not being, not carrying on, not waking up in pain and going through the day in pain and getting up to the bloody school to realise I will either have to pick the children up as quickly as possible in pain or look for a toilet urgently (there isn't one that parents can easily use without embarrassment of one kind or another), not holding conversations where I can no longer focus on what the other person is saying because all I am aware of is my bladder.... is so alluring. It is like a siren's call: not to be, not to be, not to be.

I'm pretty sure that's what Peaches heard and I think , in a way, it is gutsy to do what she did.

And yes, I know all the counter-arguments. But that's still what I feel.

When you have to force yourself to keep on living, what kind of a life is it anyway?

(The antibiotics are not working, by the way; or perhaps there is a 5% improvement; it's so hard to tell. But it's basically the same. And I know I can't live for thirty or forty years like this and moreover I know that I don't want to.)

So where is the choice?

When we no longer have a choice, what new fresh prison hell is this IC life?

6 comments:

  1. This is so sad and I really, really feel for you. I truly believe that things WILL get better. You are much stronger than PG. You have managed all this, so far, by yourself, as you rightly say. This is proof that you can keep going. There are people all around the world who are thinking of you and caring - I for one should show it more often. You are a fabulous, beautiful, clever person and a great mother to those two - and they DO need you, so, so much. They will never give up on you. So hang in there old beany. Lots of love from Bavaria. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. My point here was honesty and so many of us IC-ers feel this way but it's a big taboo to talk about it. I'm all about breaking taboos so I wanted to post on the subject. Other people in the same boat feel better to know they're not the only one feeling that way. I do know rationally the things you say are correct, but it doesn't stop the feelings when you are living in chronic pain. I also believe that P loved her children deeply and was a beautiful, clever, talented woman; I don't think that it's a measure of that. But thank you anyway, I do appreciate your kind words xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand what you are saying here. I also get suicidal ideation and the one and only cause being IC. I hate it when medical persons treat you as if you are crazy and surely must have been "crazy" before IC , when in fact you are completely sane and you are "just" distraught and fearful of a life and mind lived in pain.

    You sound very bad at the moment (emotionally I mean, very depressed), I am so sorry you are feeling this way - words can't express it , I too have spent periods of time doing the exact same - at moments resenting my children for keeping me alive in this torture. It's the worst and it is a dangerous situation to be in, mental health wise.

    I have followed your blog for some time, checking back for updates and when there was a lapse in posting I would think about the blog and you and wonder what was going on or how you were. So you see your writing helps people I'm sure. It certainly has resonated a lot with myself because I can relate myself to most of the things you write about IC.

    If you ever need help or someone to turn to, even just a fellow IC suffer , my email addess is helenoftroy789@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. I will email when I have a chance. It really does help to know that other people know exactly how it feels xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your pain and the resulting depression/despair. I was diagnosed in 2002 and struggle with pain/urgency everyday. Most of my life is spent on the bed/couch on a heating pad. Unfortunately, the main objective each day is to try and get some relief. Thinking of my fellow IC'ers tonight. It really pisses me off that so little is ever heard of IC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara and HelenofTroy, thank you so much for your empathy. It helps me more than you can know. Just to know that my own personal pain is being transmitted into words which reach out into the ether and reach into your hearts and touch you... that in itself gives me a bit of a reason to keep fighting. Sara my life sounds like yours at the moment. Given that I have an eleven year old girl and a 7 year old boy it is very hard because I either let them run riot or I am in tears asking them to do things around the house. Half the time I literally can't stand up to make their dinner, the pain is so bad. this is something that non-ICers or people with no chronic pain find really hard to understand. they think it's in our heads. it's in our bladders!!! I know, we need a mass publicity campaign. it's so much better in America for that. in the UK, there are 4 million people who have bladder problems, apparently; in the past 2 years while I've been suffering with IC, I've met 1 , in person, and lots online... but clearly I must have met loads more, who were just too embarrassed to talk about it. it needs to be brought out into the open and we need to campaign for funding because without the trials and research we may never reach anything approaching a 'cure'. I had so much hope for the antibiotics and after ten weeks all they did was nothing at all and leave me weakened :( anyway thank you both of you and it'd be good to be in touch. I will email you Helen and Sara do you have somewhere I can reach you?xxx

    ReplyDelete

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.