About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Sunday 16 February 2014

i should be so lucky...

My six year old and I were cuddled up together watching 'The Voice' last night and he turned to me very seriously and said 'Mummy, I have to tell you something.'

He hesitated as if he didn't quite know how to phrase it. 'You can tell me anything, sweetheart,' I said, slightly worried. He still didn't say anything.

'Well,' he said finally, 'I have been thinking and if you couldn't be my Mummy anymore , which won't ever happen anyway, but just say that it did happen, well...'

All kinds of things were going through my mind.

Did he still think I was at death's door?

Did he want to be living with my parents, maybe?

Has the continued absence of his arsehole father, who has not been in touch for weeks, really got him into a total state?

I muted the TV.

He reached for the remote and un-muted it straight back.

'No need to panic, Mum', he said. 'All I was going to say was if you were not my Mummy, I think, well, considering everything, I would choose Kylie.'

I looked at Kylie Minogue's young, fresh-looking face, at 43 or 44 or whatever she is. I don't begrudge her the botox and the facelifts and whatever else she has had done; the woman has been through the mill with her breast cancer and her failed relationships .....

And yet still, she is a Diva, and attracting a brand new generation of fans under the age of ten, who know nothing of Charlene on Neighbours, or Kylie as Gay Idol, but just know her as Kylie, the new, cool judge on the Voice, more cool, definitely more cool, than the very sassy Jesse J.

Go, Kylie!

But I won't be handing her my son anytime soon.

'She doesn't have kids, you know,' I said later on.

'Poor Kylie,' said Blue Eyed Boy. 'See Mummy, you're the lucky one really'.

1 comment:

  1. love this! kylie still has it after all this time doesnt she? keep on writing i read every post love it always visit this blog

    ReplyDelete

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.