About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Saturday 14 September 2013

Clean Slates, with our names on

So I have a new kitten and a new nephew. Within hours of each other, these two brand new little blessings have arrived in my life.

We met the kitten yesterday and she is exactly perfect and I'm very sure we'll be bringing her home in a couple of weeks time.

My brother and his wife had their first baby in the night, a healthy boy, and I'm finally an Auntie! Woke up to a text message: 'IT'S A BOY!!!' .

How did Sylvia Plath put it - ' a clean slate, with your name on it?' .... Two new, beautiful arrivals to our family.

Good things haven't been happening very often lately so it's brought us a bit of joy. In fact, it's brought my children a LOT of joy (they've been wanting a kitten for years, ever since we were all set to get one last year before I was rushed to hospital, and they really wanted a boy cousin) and for me a glimmer of hope that things might just start to improve.

I'm really going to work on focusing on the good things and not going over and over what is wrong.

With the chronic pain, that's pretty hard to do, as it is going on all the time, so self-pity is always there, waiting in the wings, ready to suffocate you with its thick black smoke. Poor me, poor me, poor me; why me, why me, why me; you bastard, you bastard, you bastard...etc...

But this kind of thinking is not going to get me better, and it is certainly not going to make me happy.

This morning I am grateful and happy to have two sweet new members of our family; welcome to the world. Life goes in circles and cycles; after the dark, comes the dawn.

I am going to practise staying in the moment, in the day, and not giving up hope, however tough that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.