About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Sunday 8 September 2013

IC awareness:Day 7: dialogue in new era

Day 7: Imagine that the world has fully accepted IC as a common condition. Doctors understand it and treat accordingly. Society can accept public awareness campaigns. Write a comical dialogue between you and a family member, friend, significant other, or medical professional about what goes on in your pelvic region on a daily basis.
  • Example:
    Tali: Babe, can you take the bread out of the oven. I'm flaring and I'm pretty sure my vag just caught on fire.
    Derek: Sure. I got it. Better go put your weird lady goo on and rev up that heating pad. Get ya anything?
    Tali: A gazillion million dollars, a pitbull, and a lambo.
    Derek:Do you think your bladder actually deserves any of those things? I mean she really is kind of a bitch.
    Tali: Hell no, she doesn't deserve it but maybe if we get her pretty things she'll learn how to act appropriately.
    Derek: Doubt it. 
 
****************************************************************************

I think my dialogue here would be between me and Yummy Mummy #34 at the school gate.
Currently, it goes something like this:

Rainbow: Hi, how's things?
Yummy Mummy: Oh, we're fine. But how are you?
Rainbow: Not too bad thanks/ getting by/ ok today / enjoying the sunshine.. (depends on my mood)
Yummy Mummy: Yes but how are you really?
Rainbow: Well, I'm in some pain today, but I'm surviving! How's little Sarah/Evie/Jane?
Yummy Mummy: Oh everything's just hunkydory. But it's you I'm worried about. You've been ill for nearly a year haven't you? How awful. Do they know exactly what it is? Hasn't anyone thought to give you some proper medicine?
Rainbow: (biting my tongue) Thanks, I've been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis, I think I told you that the other week. I'm starting a new treatment soon. (or sometimes, I just kind of smile and look blank, rather than saying something sarcastic like 'oh yes, i'll suggest medicine to my next doctor shall I? What a wonderful idea!)
Yummy Mummy: Well, I don't know how you manage. I just don't think I could survive in your shoes. And being on your own too! How dreadful!
and so on til the little ones emerge.....

In a Brave New World as outlined above, it would go something like this.

Rainbow: Hi, how's things?
Yummy Mummy: Fine, thanks. How are you feeling today?
Rainbow: Well, my bladder's burning and I've been on the toilet six times in the past couple of hours, dreading the drive to gymnastics club as I always need to pee on the way and there's nowhere to stop.
Yummy Mummy: It's a horrible disease, I read a big article about it the other day. You must be very strong in order to manage. Listen, my little ones do gym today. Would you like to share the lifts?
Rainbow: That would be a massive help, thanks.
Yummy Mummy: How are you coping in the evenings between school pick up and bedtime?
Rainbow: It's tough when the pain is so bad that I have to lie on the sofa, and my bladder is screaming at me just to get into a hot bath but I have to somehow make the kids tea / do homework / music practise with them, but I'm hopefully getting some childcare help a couple of days a week and applying for DLA too.
Yummy Mummy: Great. It sounds like you're having a tough time but coping well. Those things should really help you. Give me a call if you do need my help, but I don't want to intrude!
Rainbow: Thanks, that's really kind of you.

MASSIVE DIFFERENCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.