About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Friday 13 September 2013

school yummy mummy bullshit

'Yummy Mummies'. I hate them almost as much as I hate extremists who shoot loads of people for no reason or bigots who attack people because of the colour of their skin. I really, really don't like these women. They gossip, they pander to their ridiculously arrogant husbands, they take half an hour to park their planet -polluting 4 by 4s which they can't even drive and don't even need because they live in the city!!!

Three examples of things that have already wound me up since term re-started

1. 'How are  you? I have to say, you look really well! Have you tried medical herbalism? / 'Poor you, it must be dreadful not having a husband and being so ill, you must be very miserable' / 'You look great - I'd heard you were really ill again but must be mistaken!' and so on, and so on. All from virtual strangers who only think they can speak to me like this because their children are in the same class as my children!!!!!

2. On the class email list, my name is misspelt. Twice. My first name, and my surname. If you've been following my blog you'll know I was going to be the class 'rep' for this year but had to pull out because of this bloody illness and consequent exhaustion and time starvation. The new 'rep' has hardly said a word to me or taken note of any of the things I had to hand over to her, and I have now emailed her twice about this, and she just ignores it. What to do! March up to her and demand that she listen to me? Rise above it? Give me strength!!!!!

3. In a homework meeting for my ten year old. Discussing literacy homework being done in a pen. 'They can all just use their fountain pens, can't they,' says the yummiest mummy in the room, aged about 50 but trying to look 40 with expensive cream, botox and designer clothes (my kids are at state school, but it's mostly a posh catchment). 'I think that's ridiculous,' I hear myself saying. All eyes are on me. It's as if I've said 'I have leprosy and you're all going to catch it.' 'Not all of us can keep on buying £30 pens that get lost or stolen or broken, so that's not what I will be doing this year; we don't all have money to throw around'. My mum was there with me. Now my mum and I have a lot of issues going on at the moment (when don't we?), but I glanced at her after I finished speaking, and I swear I saw her look proud.

I'm a scummy mummy, and proud!!! Why are these people so unbearable??!!!

It's about a quarter of the mums in the school. The rest, the majority, are actually quite nice, and some are really nice. I do have some good acquaintances, friends even, specially amongst the mums in my son's class who are more down-to-earth (relatively speaking). But these yummy mummies. What to do with them? Round them up and pack them off to the colonies, I say.

So that was my rant - had to get that off my chest today. So good to have a room of my own, to scream - the best way I can scream is with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.