About Me

My photo
This blog is about coping with the strains of chronic illness whilst bringing up two beautiful children; it's also about the stresses of bringing up two children on your own while suffering with a chronic ongoing health problem which is at times very severe.... you can look at it either way. It's about being a single mum; it's about raising awareness of Interstitial Cystitis; it's about helping me cope. Writing this blog is beginning to bring me back to who I really am, who I really always was, before the single motherhood took over full time, before the illness set in.... a writer. I've always written, from essays to stories to journalism. This is the first thing I've written in years. It's helping me regain my confidence. PLEASE DO LEAVE ME COMMENTS AFTER MY POSTS! I'd genuinely love to hear your views on my (sometimes controversial) opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read. It would be great if you could comment so I know that you've been here and what you think.

Tuesday 10 September 2013

needles: good or bad?

I have a mixed attitude to needles.

I have had so many blood tests and injections over the years that I don't mind them anymore - not my favourite thing in the world but as long as the person brandishing the needle knows what they're doing, I just look the other way and think of something else.

But needles automatically make me think of heroin, and heroin has been the downfall of several people I cared about deeply and my life somehow has wound itself around it through loving people who use or have used it, even though, in fact, I have never ever gone near the stuff myself.

In the past year, on morphine based painkillers for my IC, I have finally understood the appeal; but still, if you ask me whether I want to be pricked with needles every week and you'd expect me to say a definite firm NO.

But yesterday I had my first session of acupuncture, and I can safely say that little sterile lovely peaceful needles are going to be a part of my life for the forseeable future on a weekly basis.

I didn't have any expectations, positive or negative. I'd only had acupuncture once, before the birth of my oldest child, to try to induce the labour naturally. It didn't work, so I discounted it as an alternative therapy that I'd be willing to pay for. So when it was recommended to me, I was a little sceptical; but at this point, anything is worth a go.

It was incredible. For a start, the practitioner is really good, and I liked her, which always helps. But much more importantly, I saw results. On the day. I was extremely constipated from my painkillers and after the session that problem resolved itself through the rest of the day! I had horrible PMT and my period was late coming and lo and behold, within hours, it had arrived. I also had the best night's sleep I'd had in a long while.

As soon as she put the needles in - which did hurt a bit, some more than others - I felt at peace. And after a minute or two I could not feel the needles. And I am a chatterbox at the best of times, but I stopped talking. We were chatting intermittently about how it was feeling and she would come and adjust a needle somewhere from time to time, but I just drifted off. I was not asleep, but kind of not here. I felt like that for the rest of the day. Very drowsy and relaxed. And today I have more energy than is usual for me, particularly on the first day of my period.

I think I had two needles in each hand, one in my left arm, one in my right leg, and one in each foot. So only 8. Next week, we are going to try the abdomen.

So my attitude to needles has shifted. Used in the right way, perhaps they can be transformational.

I am really hopeful about this therapy and will keep posting about how it is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Over to you!

So please let me know what you think, or ask me anything you would like to know.

I always appreciate honest feedback.